Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Bare Necessities...

And now I'm singing songs from the Jungle Book. :-D LOL

What do *I* need to write a book...

The bare necessities? I only need two things to write.
1) Something to write on. Preferable my laptop. But a notebook and pen/pencil will do very well.
2) Time.

Simple, right?

There are some other things I like or prefer to have when I sit down to work on a book, though.

1) Some kind of caffeinated beverage. I'll admit my Mt. Dew addiction. I drink it daily. Though I also drink coffee and tea, so if I run out of the Dew, I'm covered even if I'm not really happy. LOL

2) mp3 player and headphones. Music played on computer will do, of course, but the headphones/earbuds are essential. This house is chaotic and loud, no getting around that. So music drowns that out. It also signals to the rest of the family that I'm writing. If I'm just checking email or surfing the net, I don't have headphones on. So if the kids or hubs sees me wearing them, they know to leave me be unless it's an emergency.

3) Friends. I love that I have friends I can bounce ideas off of. Whether I'm plotting out a new story or having problems with a scene I'm working on, I have some pretty awesome people in my life I can talk it through with. Totally invaluable.

And that's about it. Jess's bare necessities. :-D Though sometimes I need the reminder. It's all too easy to get caught up in the "I'd get so much more writing done if I had (fill in the blank)." I suppose I could add one more thing to the essentials list - discipline. Sitting my butt down every day and writing. Yeah, I think that's going to the top of the list.

Hugs,
~J

1 comment:

  1. Time and friends are the biggest ones for me. Oh, who am I kidding? They all are. Bring on the caffeine!

    ReplyDelete